Meetings and Events

Board of Director & Membership Meetings

 

EDCEA, Local #1 has a Board of Directors (BOD's) that meet on a monthly basis along with EDCEA staff, on the first Tuesday of every month with occasional exceptions.  All meetings are held at the Union Office in Placerville with quarterly meetings held in South Lake Tahoe.  All MEMBERS are welcome to attend.

            

We ask that you please RSVP 1 day in advance for food ordering purposes.

2019 BOD Meeting Summary

November 2019

Staff Reports and Grievances

Jere Copeland, Excused retiring on November 8, 2019. AFSCME Council 57 Business Agent, Roland Becht shares that November 4th was the first official day of the Unification with Council 57.   Lot of things going on but most can be resolved over the phone.  There is a Classification issue in the Veterans Department that is going before the Board of Supervisors in 2 weeks.  Roland thinks he will be getting calls regarding issues that happened months ago, while Jere has been out.  Grievances –There is one grievance pending regarding a layoff due to a nepotism issue.  Discussion held.  Roland stated he is checking with Council 57’s attorney.  

Officer Reports

President Rebecca Klare reports she will be taking pictures of the Board of Directors with her phone.  Rebecca is getting a lot of calls regarding building closures.  She suggests putting something in the newsletter about building closure into effect that this is a touchy subject but it is not being ignored and we have been in contact with the County regarding same.  Discussion on snow days by Larry. 

2nd Vice President Larry Hobson – Members moved into a new building and everyone is very happy with their new surroundings.  During the Vote they signed up 6+ new members.  Larry requested we do something for David as a thank you, such as, a card, and he will pass it around in SLT to get signatures. WS Chief Shop Steward – Greg Hicks continuing on follow up with member questions and issues.  He has a fact finding meeting with a member and HR this Thursday, November 7th.

Committee Reports

Community Outreach Co Chairs Jenny Wilson, and Sean Conley-Widing, Jenny asked what everyone thought about the quarterly newsletter.  Good feedback. Roland said he was impressed by the format. The newsletter was also given to Charles Allen and he liked it.  Jenny asks now that we are with 57 can we meet with them regarding newsletters, formatting, etc.  Roland states to contact him and he will funnel it through the right channels to the right department.  Jenny requested that Larry send something about members in SLT and that she would like to do a SLT Corner, as she feels they get left out, better if it comes from all of us.  Marcia said to send an email to the site reps regarding this.  Roland suggested that as well as a highlighted member, considering highlighting a whole department, make it fun.  Marcia suggested press releases to show how much we do for the community.  Jenny feels we need to get the community to support us.  Organizing Team Chair Marcia Woods states that they have been successful in signing up new members at the NEO’s and asked Roland if he would like to attend an NEO.  Roland stated he would like to attend one.  Organizers and surveys discussed. Rebecca Klare, Bulletin Boards Committee stated they are here, ready to go.  Labor Management Chair Marcia Woods states Kristen was working with Don Semon and held a few meetings with him and Jere Copeland with good results.  What can we do to get these meetings started again and moving forward?  Marcia will send Roland the contact information. Website Committee, Chair Marcia Woods states she is working on a website committee.  She wants work with a web person from Council 57.  She also wants to refer members to the Council 57 website as well.  Jenny and Sean to interface with website people from Council 57 for the newsletter. 

Ongoing Business

Local One, Walter Davies shares that on Thursday, October 17, 2019 the vote was counted on the Unification with Council 57.  Almost 50% of the membership voted.  El Dorado had the highest vote count with only 2 no votes.  Class Study is still ongoing.  Rebecca asked if Jere can fill Roland in on where the class study is at.  Greg is a little concerned about ongoing classes, being put against each other.  Tameka is adding out of class duties into current classifications.  Roland needs more information on the class study to move forward.  Possibly bring into negotiations. Training  is available and Council 57 has lots of resources available online as well as scheduled trainings.  Political Training, Bargaining Trainings, Shop Steward Trainings, etc.  Texting, Walter Davies explains that this is on the agenda due to the fact that it is the biggest expense.  Roland, Kim and Laura discussed a free legal texting called Hustle and its capabilities.  Laura to follow up on this with Andy from Council 57.  Negotiations, Marcia states she is working on the survey.  The Board of Directors reviewed the negotiation applications for the new negotiation team. They voted for 2 members of each bargaining unit for a total 7 with 2 alternates.  The team will consist of Rebecca Klare, President. Greg Hicks, Robert Foster, Justin Canning, Mary Luckel, Allison Ehlers and Larry Argenio.  Alternates – Carl Pascol Bickel and Aaron Mount.  It was decided a note taker is needed and Rebecca will email the ones who were not chosen to see if they have an interest to be the note taker.  They will need to have the skills required to listen and take notes. Rebecca will make contact with each applicant prior to letting the membership know who is on their team.  Marcia made the request that Roland set up a meeting with HR to get the first meeting for Negotiations in November.

New Business

Rebecca asked and appointed Tracy Melton for 1st Vice Present and Tracy accepted.  Council 57, Rebecca Klare states the vote passed and we are now AFSCME Council 57 / Local #1.  Delegates, Roland states that we will want to be sure and have EDCEA delegates as they are the supreme body of decision makers. However you pick the BOD is the same manner you want to pick the delegates.  This needs to be done 7 days prior to the next delegates meeting, which is held in January, probably the last weekend the last one was held in September – they are held quarterly but do not hold it in December as it pushed back to January.  A question we need to ask is the procedure to be used by Local #1.  Roland states EDCEA should have a minimum of 1 seat and push for 2 seats. These delegates do not need to be on the PEU BOD’s.  Scholarships, Rebecca states that scholarships are set as a minimum in the Bylaws and entertains a motion to offer scholarships for Scholastic year 2020-2021.  BOD Workshop, Rebecca explains when the meeting is normally held.  Discussion held and a reminder that the delegates for Council 57 would need to go to the quarterly meeting held on the last Saturday of January.  Decision made to hold the Workshop on January 11, 2020.  Discussion regarding BOD seats and requests we discuss this next year.

                   What is a Lunch & Learn Meeting? 

A lunch and learn meeting is an informal meeting that takes place over lunch and/or breaks. Members provide their own lunches, and . come to learn about specific issues.

Organizing Committee Defined

A strong organizing committee is the foundation for creating a powerful, democratic and active union. The organizing committee is the engine that drives the direction of any organizing efforts. The committee’s role is to motivate and unify the membership to take action for the betterment of all EDCEA members in El Dorado County.

    El Dorado County Employees Association, Local #1

    2864 Ray Lawyer Drive, Suite 202

    Placerville, CA 95667

    Phone: (530) 626-2565 Fax: (530) 626-2569

    Toll Free: (800) 479-2560

    www.edcea.org 

    Facebook

    Texting